Access to clean and safe water, especially in rural areas of India is a privilege that not many enjoy. The Gold Standard organization found that 1 in every 10 people worldwide do not have access to clean water. A safe water supply is important for a country’s economic standing as it helps with a family’s finances, further contributing to the overall national economy.
Facts about drinking water in India
According to the WHO JMP 2017 report, over 163 million people in India don’t have access to clean and safe drinking water. India is a country with over a billion people where less than half of its population has access to safely managed drinking water.
Chemical contamination of water is present in 1.96 million household. Of which, fluoride contamination in India affects millions of people across 19 states, while equally worryingly, excess arsenic may affect up to 15 million people in West Bengal, according to the World Health Organization. Fluoride contamination is a major cause in dental and skeletal fluorosis in India.
Central Groundwater Board (2014) data reveals that of the population over 1 billion people almost 66 million people have drinking water with fluoride levels beyond permissible limits.
With water access being limited in the nation, the water present in reservoirs, wells, tap water and other sources of household water can be exposed to dirt, bacteria and even at times toxic material.
Impurified water can do more damage than good and can cause health concern among people. It is essential to use purified water for drinking, washing, and cooking.
Why Do We Need A Water Purifier?
Human body is 80% constituted of water. It is essential for survival, but unsafe drinking water can do more harm than good. Drinking water is a major cause for water- borne disease, that can at times be even fatal.
A good water purifier can help prevent these water borne diseases like cholera and typhoid which can be life-threatening if not treated in time. Clean and safe water is a necessity than more of a luxury.
Why a water purifier is a must?
- Removes Disease-Causing Contaminants: Majority of Indian households rely on tap water and this water can be a common carrier of various disease-causing microbiological contaminants like viruses, bacteria, fungus, and parasites. This water can be unfit for consumption and may lead to several water-borne diseases like cholera, diarrhoea, and typhoid. According to the India Water Portal, 37.7 million Indians are affected by waterborne diseases, 1.5 million children die of diarrhoea and 73 million working days are lost leading to an economic burden of $600 million a year. According to WHO there 1.3 to 4.0 million cases, and 21,000 to 1,43,000 deaths worldwide due to cholera. However, with safe drinking water and/or good sanitation facilities, the disease can be easily prevented and treated.
- Removes Heavy Metals: Water, especially ground water contains heavy metal contamination like Fluoride, Nitrates, Potassium etc which can cause major health issues among the population. India is one of the worst affected countries with fluorosis where more than 60% of the population is the victim to the condition. Water purifiers, especially RO water purifiers can help eliminate heavy metals and provide safe drinking water.
- Health Benefits: Water purifiers keep intact lot of necessary minerals needed for human body. It also helps improve your skin and hair quality. Clean and safe water helps prevent dehydration and keep you energetic and active.
- Healthy Hair and Skin: Consuming purified water prevents dehydration of skin and hair and reduces dryness. It enhances hair quality and reduces breakouts to give a radiant skin.
- Detoxifies Body: Having clean and safe water washes out all the built lactic acid and other toxins in the body. Staying hydrated detoxifies the body and increases the kidney function.
- Weight Loss Benefits: Having purified water and staying hydrated can increase body’s metabolism resulting in weight loss.
Water purifiers like Pureit helps provide clean and safe water and prevent you from water-borne diseases and infections. They also keep intact the minerals that are needed for human body. With the amount of contamination and population investing in good water purifiers is a need to keep you and your loved ones away from home.